The general who wins the battle makes many calculations in his temple before the battle is fought. The general who loses makes but few calculations beforehand.
The Business Plan
If you don’t know where you are currently standing, you’re dead.
Before getting into deeper topics, let’s start talking about the basics. We would like to ask you:
- Do you have a business plan? If you don’t have it, you haven’t started in the best way.
- But if you have it, are you doing follow-ups? If you do not follow up, it is not a business plan, it is anything else.
- Even if you follow up, is it helpful? If the answer is negative again, you have a serious problem, beyond the money spent, not to say badly invested in consultants or advisors; But if the answer is positive, you know what we are talking about.
A Plan is only a guide, it is like the pilot’s flight plan, or the navigation chart of the boats, also what is behind our favorite sports team and even what should be guiding our lives, but many times, there is no plan, but a succession of actions without order and without direction that end up disconcerting or leading to a random outcome. A Business Plan is a plan applied to the business. It seems very simple in the theory, but it is not in the practice, because of it begins with making definitions and decisions, which for many people means a real problem.
As we mentioned, a Business Plan is a guide. But a guide for what? Simple question of complex answer. Before following, we will ask you:
- What is your business about? This is the most important thing, and then
- What is the heart of your business? that is also called “Core Business”. Once this is defined, you can keep moving forward.
- What do I want from my business in 5 or 10 years? If you are clear, then you can ask a new question based on the previous answers.
- What is the objective of your business? You should always put it in writing, because it is of the utmost relevance. There are several theories and techniques on how to set goals optimally, you can read our article about it, written with Tu Mejor Tú
With the above, you could already begin to draw the general lines of the plan, or you could already clearly indicate what your business is about. Now we will do a last question: how does it work your business? Or, how do you want your business to work? You don’t have to answer, we don’t want you reveal your secret formula. Take the time to reflect on this and think about your business.
We are Steering Bird, online advisers in business direction, management and finance. We specialize in business analysis, control and analysis of investment projects, results analysis, processes of budget and forecast, etc.